At Whaling City CrossFit, you are part of a Community that holds itself to a higher standard. A Community that strives for greatness each day. That greatness can’t be achieved overnight. The most crucial ingredients in creating success? Consistency, Community, and Coaching.
“Contrary to the popular ideal, working out three days a week is a crappy path to fitness. While a tri-weekly program will sustain weight loss, muscle size, and (perhaps) strength, it will not enhance recovery ability, metabolic capacity, and power output beyond set levels.”- Jon Gilson, founder of Again Faster
Consistently executing a varied set of functional movements at a high (relative) intensity will make you great; the greatest version of yourself. Granted, each person has a unique starting point and fitness background, so 5 days a week may be too much in the beginning. This is why we start our On-Rampers with three days a week. But the path to your fitness should include increasing the number of training sessions per week from three to four to five (maybe even six). The change doesn’t happen overnight. But by consistently showing up and giving your all for that hour of class, you will incrementally succeed in becoming the greatest, fittest version of yourself.
It’s not easy. It can be very hard to stay motivated. The alarm clock goes off at 4am and that voice in your head is telling you to stay under the covers. Or it’s 6pm and you had the most stressful day at work and all you want to do is grab a beer and sit on the couch. I get it. I’ve been there. We’ve all been there. There’s an entire Community of amazing people at Whaling City CrossFit who have all been there. And they are all here for you. To text you and make sure you’re not skipping class. To give you a tip on your Double Unders. To cheer you through those last reps. To grab a drink with you AFTER the WOD. This incredible Community will help you Consistently work towards greatness.
Leading this incredible Community of individuals committed to functional fitness? The Coaches of Whaling City CrossFit. You will not find Coaches anywhere else with the same amount of passion and emotional investment in your well-being. They are educated in the art and science of CrossFit and perfecting human movement. They can see and correct the tiny errors in your motor pattern in everything from the air squat to the muscle up to the snatch. But that alone isn’t what makes them great Coaches. What makes them great Coaches is their want to help you succeed, to push you past that barrier you didn’t know you could break.
Bottom line: There is an amazing Community of athletes and Coaches here at Whaling City CrossFit at your disposal. But if you don’t come consistently, you are missing out. Here are 5 Strategies to help you make a commitment to Consistency:
- Make a Schedule – plan out your gym schedule for the week. If you know you are busy Tuesday night, plan to get up Tuesday morning to get your WOD done.
- Don’t Miss Monday – Getting here at the start of the week kicks the week off on the right foot and sets you up for success the rest of the week.
- Get a Partner – Make a deal with someone else from the gym; someone who will help hold you accountable when you try and skip.
- Make the WOD Your Own – Don’t stress over “Rxing” the WOD or doing it as written. Not everyone is at the capacity yet to do 5 WODs a week as written on the whiteboard or you might have an injury preventing you from certain movements. Don’t skip because of this. Come in, work with your coaches to modify the workout as necessary so that you can still give 100% to your workout.
- Don’t Skip Because You’re Sore – Come in, do some foam rolling, some stretching, and then hop on the rower and do some Active Recovery. This is YOUR gym. We are not going to force you to do the WOD that is written on the board.
If you’ve fallen off the wagon, get up, dust yourself off, and get back in the gym. The barbell is waiting for you. The Coaches and the Community are here for you.
If you are interested in finding out more, or becoming part of the Whaling City CrossFit community, click the button below.[standout-css3-button href=’http://whalingcitycrossfit.com/getting-started/’ cssclass=” customclass=” nofollow=false opennewwindow=false]Click Here to Learn More About Getting Started[/standout-css3-button]